work, budget, relationship, school, therapy, health and everything else that goes along with being a grown-up





Monday, June 28, 2010

Marriage and babies - It's not for everyone!


If I'm being honest with myself (and with any potential readers) I have to admit that I do want to get married some day. Also, probably have a baby or two, or adopt a child or two, or both. Marriage and children are in my future, I guess is what I'm trying to say.

...but when? I'm 25 years old now. I don't want to get married until I make a decent living and/or live in my dream city. I don't want to have children until after I've been married for a couple of years, and definately not until I've been at a career for a few years, too.

So...? Will these things happen for me? Do I need them to? Will I end up going out of order a bit? Maybe get married before I finish college, and have children before I start a career? Or finish college, start my career, and never get married or have children? Or have children first, before anything, because of an unplanned pregnancy?

A lot of questions.

Here's where I'm at now: I live with my boyfriend. We are in love, and have been a couple of about 2 and a half years. We have had a couple of conversations about marriage and babies and the future, and here is where we are collectively at: We are happy with where we are now. We plan to get married in the future, but in the DISTANT future. Children aren't necessary for either of us, but we will plan for them later, also in the DISTANT future.

Also, I have a couple of other views about marriage. One, I will not get legally married until everyone can, meaning gay couples. Two, I have been engaged in the past, and have not been married, which kind of makes me skeptical about the whole thing.

Okay, that is over and done with.

No comments:

Post a Comment